Toilet Consciousness / 廁意識


《廁意識》是一件以建築研究為基礎的VR作品,藝術家在為公部門調查公共廁所設計時,觀察到廁所不僅是生理需求的場域,更是一個交織著性別、身分、資訊與權力的空間節點。作品將這些觀察轉化為虛擬場景,打造出一場穿越現實與虛構、身體與意識之間的空間敘事。
從二元對立的舞台出發,觀眾在男女廁所之間選擇進入,面對中央鏡子時,自己的影像同時映照於兩側,界線開始模糊。當熟悉的廁所被馬桶沖水聲「沖刷」,觀眾被引入一系列由老人、跨性別者、行動不便者甚至虛擬網路角色構成的多重廁所世界。在每個空間中,觀眾短暫「成為他者」,體驗其如廁經驗中的限制與被觀看的視角。
本作回應傅柯對異托邦的定義:廁所作為私密與公共的交界,不僅承載秩序,也暴露社會對「他者」的排斥。而如巴特勒所述,性別與身體並非固定,而是可演出的社會建構。作品中觀眾的身分不斷轉換——從男性到女性,從健全身體到行動不便標籤,從人類到數位分身——使空間經驗隨之轉化。
當代資訊社會更讓廁所成為私密資訊的輸出入口,人們在此排泄的不僅是生理廢棄物,也包括社群情緒與碎片資訊。《廁意識》藉由VR沉浸性,使觀者穿梭於現實與虛構的廁所迷宮,反思個體在制度、文化與科技之中的位置。
最終,觀眾回到原點,留下鏡中自我與虛構記憶交疊的餘痕。藝術家不提出答案,而是拋出一個簡單而強而有力的問題: 「在這樣的空間裡,我們究竟是誰,又將成為什麼?」

Toilet Consciousness is a VR immersive artwork grounded in architectural research. Based on the artist’s fieldwork on public restrooms across schools and commercial spaces in Taiwan, the project reimagines the toilet as a site of bodily need, identity politics, and digital immersion.
The experience begins in a spatially symmetrical stage divided by gender. A central mirror subtly dissolves fixed roles, allowing the viewer’s reflection to inhabit both sides. When the toilet flushes, the viewer is metaphorically drawn into a series of surreal restroom spaces—each representing marginalized identities: the elderly, transgender, disabled, even animals and avatars. Within each, the viewer momentarily "becomes" that subject, encountering space anew.
The journey enacts a constant shift in identity—from male to female, abled to disabled, physical to digital—mirroring Foucault’s notion of heterotopia and Judith Butler’s theory of performativity. These toilets do not merely serve function; they discipline, reflect, and expose the self. As Wendy Chun suggests, even our most mundane spaces have become programmable, saturated with mediated vision and ideological friction.
Ultimately, the viewer returns to the stage transformed—no longer fixed, but diffused. The work offers no closure, only a question suspended in silence:
In this space of reflection and release, who have we become?

---------------------------------

<Graphic Design & 3d Rendering>



---------------------------------

<VR 360 Video>






---------------------------------

<Exhibition/ Space Design>



---------------------------------

<Research & Studies>






---------------------------------

<Video Script>

S1

我是誰?我為何來到這裡?

Who am I? Why have I come here?

他們……又是誰?

And who… are they?

這是我的身體嗎?看起來有些陌生,又好像很熟悉。

Is this my body? It feels unfamiliar—yet strangely familiar.

那是我嗎?這個……也是我。

Is that me? And this… also me?

他、她、牠、祂……各種身分與資訊在瞬間湧現。

He, she, it, They… identities and data erupt all at once.

這裡是我身體的出口,也是我思緒的入口。

This is the exit of my body, and the entrance of my thoughts.

我開始沈落,一點一滴,無聲無息……

I begin to descend—slowly, silently, without a trace…


S2

廁所作為滿足生理需求的必要場所,如今已在人類社會中成為了資訊以及意識形態的聚集地。

The restroom, once a necessary space to fulfill physiological needs, has now become a gathering place for information and ideology in human society.

而我們在這裡排放生理上的廢棄物,以及資訊上的廢棄物。

And here, we dispose of both physiological waste and informational waste.

廁所,隨即成為了新型態的資訊匯集地;意識形態的戰場、社群媒體的實體交會點以及各種氣味的交集地。

The restroom has quickly become a new hub for information; a battlefield for ideologies, a physical intersection of social media, and a convergence point for various scents.

而我們沉浸在其中,難以自拔。

And we are immersed in it, unable to extricate ourselves.



S3

我們在以管窺天;以有限窺視無限

We are trying to view the vast sky through a small pipe; attempting to limit human behavior with limited knowledge.

作為人類基本生存需求的廁所,也變得無比複雜

The toilet, once a basic human necessity, has become incredibly complex.

在年齡、生理、心理、性別、動物之間不斷輪轉

It constantly shifts between age, physiology, psychology, gender, and even the animalistic realm.

最後成為了我們意識形態的牢籠

In the end, it becomes a cage of our ideology.

我們到底得到了甚麼?

What, then, have we truly gained?

我們到底成為了甚麼?

What, then, have we truly become?


S4

我是誰?我為何來到這裡?

Who am I? Why have I come here?

我們的身體在轉化,每一次凝視都無法定義。

Our bodies are shifting—each gaze unable to define us.

我也是他們嗎?還是我們都還在成形之中?

Am I one of them? Or are we all still taking shape?

我們緩緩升起,像一場等待命名的意識。

We rise slowly, like a consciousness awaiting its name.

在那懸空的巨石之上,意識形態之劍指向尚未決定的未來。

Above the suspended stone, the blade of ideology points toward a future yet to be decided.


NOP

廁所,一個滿足生理需求及意識形態的場所。

The restroom—a space that meets our basic bodily needs while also reflecting the ideology in human society.


NED

廁所,一個新型態的資訊匯集地、社群媒體的實體交會點。

The restroom—a new kind of information hub, a physical intersection of social media